I'll send an SOS to the World.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Best of February




Best Meal: Streetside Pho in Cau Dhoc, Vietnam (Pho = beef broth with fesh bean sprouts, mint leaves, scallions, chili-peanut dipping sauce for your 'stix, pipping hot flanks of beef and fettucine-sized Asian noodles)









Close second: The COFFEE in 'nam. I refer to it fondly as 'cocaine syrup'.








Best live music: The Vietnamese Disco band on top of ritzy HCMC hotel "The Caravelle" that, replete with synth drum pads, successfully covered the Gypsy Kings' "Bamboleo". Accents and all.







Best canned music: the "Macarena", the unoffically national anthem of Cambodia, all along the beach bars of Sihanoukville.







Best purchase: 4 dresses of Korean and Vietnamese high 60's fashion at a thrift store in HCMC complete with eager to please shopgirl who kept launching more vintage fun into our curtained-off "dressing room" (electrical breaker wall) and yelling "SOOOOO nice for you!" Made me miss my thrift shopping days with Grandma Bev.







Best runs: Outguessing motorbikes to and from Independence Monument in Phnom Penh, Joining the Hash House Harriers in Phnom Penh, along the river in Kampot.







Best Gina quote: "Dude. You're a BUS." While incredulously staring down a tour bus driver obviously contemplating running her over.







Best exercise: "Aerobics" in the park with 150 Vietnamese women in HCMC (wondering how it could potentially be offensive for females to wear spaghetti-strapped tank tops yet perfectly acceptable for droves of them to pelvic-pump for 3 minutes straight at the end of a rudimentary calethetics-like workout).







My aerobics friend Mai, who spends half of her year in Minneapolis!







Best complement (Uhhh, I think): "You not soooo fat. But if you get more so fat, you come back and I make new for you, ok?" - Phuom, my tailor in Ho An, Vietnam while measuring me for a...you guessed it...dress!





Best idea: Because of the constant reliance on the horn of any bus, motorbike or car while anyone and everyone drives in SEA, Gina and I have decided in turn, to scream in long bullhorn spurts as we cross streets. So they know we're crossing. This may or may not have been inspired after a round of late morning cocaine syrup.










Just call me Ann Geddes: The fruit market in Cau Dhoc






Ho Chi Minh City






No comments:

My photo
Nomadsville, United States
Lord I was born a ramblin' man.