I'll send an SOS to the World.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes...

To the most ultimate travel buddy in existance:

Thank you.

Thank you for always having my back, for shoving my pack in high places when I couldn't reach, for blocking traffic, for standing guard when I opted not to use a "restroom" per se, for saving my life when motorbikes tried to take it, for yelling "YOU'RE NOT GONNA DIE, JUST PEDAL!" when I was scared to ride my bike against Chiang Mai traffic. Thank you for being honest when Asian clothing didn't suit Irish hips.

Thank you for singing Mariah Carey on bikes and in caves, for fending off Swedes and blessing Brits, for picking me up when I fell (metaphorically, of course but also literally, when I characteristically biffed up the stairs in Australia's coolest nightclub), for suffering through U23D. Thank you for making up silly songs with me, for inspiring me to give up doing anything half-assed, for teaching me the art and value of shopping around. Thank you for loving a tennis ball.

Thank you for being fearless, for taking chances, for dancing in all places, discounting sand resistance. Thank you for telling me when I was wrong. Thanks for travel-day hugs and country-flag patches for my backpack, for dashing for the salt when I had leeches, for not one- but TWO - years of awesome birthday events. Thank you for being "just as dorky as me", for the invaluable feeling of not having to stand alone.

Thanks for sharing: beer, soap, socks, toothpaste, laughter, watermelons, chopsticks, ideas. Most of all I thank you for our conversations: your words have meant so much, have inspired so much, have made me think, giggle, argue and cry.

Thank you, Gina, for everything that you are and will accomplish in life. You are beautiful, brave, AMAZING. Your friendship is an indelible part of me.



There will be more post-op commentary on this blog, but continue the adventure with Gina in India: http://ginavriens.blogspot.com

No comments:

My photo
Nomadsville, United States
Lord I was born a ramblin' man.