I'll send an SOS to the World.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Punching the Corn

It would be safe for me to put money on the fact that Causeway Bay, the shopping mall Mecca of Hong Kong, has the world's largest concentration of neon lights. Forget Vegas, baby.

As I shoved my way through the dense mass of humanity, I had to blink rapidly to bear the optical stress. So when I saw it I thought I was hallucinating.

I was not.

Standing in the throng of passersby was the greatest life-sized ear of corn, containing a man handing out flyers from beneath his flouncy, poofy Lycra exterior.

There was this Chinese girl. And when I say "girl" it must be noted that Chinese women are genetic lottery winners: not only are they predominantly quite skinny, they remain with the features and complexion of a 16-year-old until about 48. So I guess maybe she could've been like, 36, and if that's true that makes her even cooler because as she grazed past the corn she punched it.

Yes, reached out and playfully gave it a right jab.

I was so completely glad that she did, because I wanted to. Badly. Like when in the airport, I like to run and jump to see if I can touch the multitudes of signage hanging from the ceiling. It was the same strong compulsion but I restrained, you know: home court advantage. Americans are notorious for doing crap like starting wars over corn.

Back in the city, and loving it, I thought about the corn yesterday. I saw an older gentleman swing around a pole supporting scaffolding by Columbia University. He did a brilliant Gene Kelly "Singin' in the Rain" chase step and then continued on his way.

Anybody who revels in the fact that they can score a 3-pointer with a wadded up paper towel and the kitchen trash can, anyone who thinks it's ultimate to bound over all the cracks in the sidewalk, anyone who recognizes this fine line between OCD and unrelenting immaturity...I say: Keep up the good work. These actions are indicative of your spunk, spirit and general haphazard spontanaiety. Isn't it good to be reassured that you're a whole lot of fun?

So today, dear reader. Go for it. Pass it on. Reach for the Stars. Go for the Gold.

Punch the Corn.

2 comments:

Sra. Sikorski said...

i have to say you have me a bit "travel sick" back here in the states! i'm so proud of you and all your brave travels. when can i see you again and hear about it in person?

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

My photo
Nomadsville, United States
Lord I was born a ramblin' man.